What is respite? Respite is temporary relief for family caregivers who are caring for individuals of any age who have disabilities, chronic or terminal illnesses.
What are our services?
• Respite resource information and referrals for caregivers
• Education, training and public awareness
• State, local and federal advocacy
• Technical assistance in starting new programs including volunteer training
• Sharing the Care (STC) Community Initiatives
• Voucher Respite Services
www.alabamarespite.org - Alabama Respite’s website offers information for caregivers and service providers wishing to learn more about our activities and programs. The website hosts an interactive database of agencies that provide respite services specific to Alabama’s counties.
Alabama Respite began in 2000, working with a task force of around 45 volunteers from state agencies, non- and for-profit organizations that serve people with disabilities and consumers. The task force developed an initial Strategic Plan to identify the respite needs of caregivers in Alabama and the gaps and barriers they face accessing services.
Java Bennett, Director of Respite Services